The R Vessels
From 1930 until the arrival of Roslin Castle five vessels were chartered from Lamport & Holt to providing refrigerated capacity. This is Moliere
By 1935 Roslin Castle and her sister ship Rothesay Castle came into service and started to replace the chartered vessels
The early 1940s saw the slightly larger R Ships such as Rowallan Castle coming into the service
Immediately after the war another slight increase in tonnage saw the next class introduced, this being Rustenburg Castle and Riebeeck Castle
In the late 1950s Union-Castle built the last pair of R boats;
Rotherwick Castle and Rothesay Castle
These two also carried general cargo when not required on the fruit run.
3 sister ships were built and chartered to Safmarine.
Shown here is Drakenstein, the others were Letaba and Tzaneen
Finally 4 new ships were added, owned by Union-Castle but chartered to Clan Line and bearing Clan Line names.
Shown here is the first of the class Clan Ramsay
Ultimately these 4 would return to Union-Castle and renamed
Review - February 1966