Warwick Castle (4)

WARWICK CASTLE (4) was built in 1938 by Harland & Wolff at Belfast with a tonnage of 17383grt, a length of 594ft 7in, a beam of 76ft 4in and a service speed of 18.5 knots.

Sister of the Durban Castle she commenced her maiden voyage as the Pretoria Castle on the 20th April 1939.

During her second voyage she damaged her rudder when she grounded in Delagoa Bay necessitating repairs at Prince Edward Dock, Durban.

On completion of that voyage she was requisitioned for use as an Armed Merchant Cruiser being fitted with eight 6 inch guns together with AA and machine guns.

With a black hull and buff upper works and funnel she was commissioned in the November and based at Freetown in Sierra Leone.

In 1942 she was replaced by one of the new light cruisers and sold to the Admiralty for conversion into an aircraft carrier. With fifteen aircraft and equipped with one catapult she was commissioned on 18th March 1943 but was used purely for training purposes.

She was re-purchased by Union-Castle in January 1946 and rebuilt to her original specification but, because a new mail ship was under construction with Pretoria Castle as her designated name, she was renamed Warwick Castle.

Resuming commercial on 13th March 1947 she initially served on the mail run until the new mail ships joined the fleet and then reverted to the Round Africa service in 1950.

On 26th July 1962 she arrived at Barcelona where she was scrapped.

The name changes tell of the ships adventurous life.   

The change of name in 1947 reflected the growing commercial and political influence of South Africa.

Before the 2nd World War in the rebuilding program of the 1930's a number of ships received South African names, but only one, the "Capetown Castle" in the prestigious mail fleet.   

By 1946 it was clear to the Company that one of the two new mailships should be given a South African name.   

The obvious choice was "Pretoria Castle" thus the old "Pretoria" was renamed "Warwick Castle", a name previously kept in the mailship fleet.

A sister to the "Durban Castle" their comparatively short lives were a result of the drastic downturn in passenger numbers and political changes in East Africa that made the Intermediate Service commercially unviable.

Review  - June 1962



Years in Service


Warwick Castle (4)


Ex Pretoria Castle (1)

1942 sold to Admiralty rebuilt as aircraft carrier, renamed HMS Pretoria Castle

1946 re-purchased by Union-Castle, renamed Warwick Castle (4),

1962 scrapped


Warwick Castle

Artist  Tom Hamilton

Warwick Castle - Art Gallery

At the Breakers - 1962

Review  - April 1963

Final Voyage - March 1962

Assisted by tug “Danie Hugo”

Arrival at Cape Town



Left London

30 March

For E Africa


F J Pye

Chief Officer

B O’Connor

Second Officer

K Bennett

Jnr Second Officer

G Ryan

Third Officer

K Parker

Fourth Officer

R D Brown


W G S Russell


O Parry-Williams

Asst Pursers

A Gwynn

M G Peplow

Purser’s Clerks

T Cobbett

Miss P Smith

First Radio Officer

D Bristow

Second Radio Officer

G Walker

Third Radio Officer

R M R Page

Nursing Sister

Miss C Richards

Children’s Hostess

Miss M C de Vries


H Calder


E J Guest


J Anderson


G Lees

Chief Engineer

W Stephen

Second Engineer

D Nolan

Int Second Engineer

V Boyle

Jnr Second Engineer

J F Black

R Whyte

Snr Third Engineer

D Jamieson

Int Third Engineer

G Ballantyne

Jnr Third Engineer

D Cadenhead

Snr Fourth Engineer

P J Kirby

Jnr Fourth Engineer

I R Rawson

Junior Engineers

A J Roberts

J Koffinas

T E Williams

P J Stals

First Electrician

A Green

Second Electrician

A B Schirmer

ER Storekeeper

W Winniczuk

Chief Catering Officer

G S Wigg

Second Catering Officer

T Conway

Chief Barman

E Brooke


P Leal

Linen Steward

H Thompsett

First Class Head Waiter

S Wheeler

First Tourist Steward

A Pritchard

Tourist Head Waiter

T C Pearson


R Binding


D V Daysh

Baker and Confectioner

A Perkins


T E Mongan

Union-Castle Home Page
Home Page   Email the Site     The Group Register   Previous Page Next Page Union-Castle Home Page