On 30 August 1939 the passenger ship Dunnottar Castle of the Union-Castle Mail SS Co Ltd, London was requisitioned by the Admiralty and converted to an armed merchant cruiser. Conversion was completed on 22 October 1939.
Displacement: 15007 BRT
Armament: 7x 152mm, 2x 76mm
Speed: 17 knots
October 39 - April 40: South Atlantic Station
May 40 - November 41: Freetown Escort Force
December 41 - May 42: South Atlantic Station
On 27 July 1942 returned and used as troopship by the Ministry of War Transport (MoWT). In March 1948 returned to owner.
Years in Service
HMS Dunnottar Castle
28 August 1939 requisitioned by the Admiralty for commission as an Armed Merchant Cruiser
In 1942 more war-built trade protection cruisers entered service and she was released and converted into a troopship