DOUNE CASTLE (2) was built in 1890 by Barclay, Curle & Co. at Glasgow with a tonnage of 4046grt, a length of 396ft, a beam of 43ft 2in and a service speed of 12.5 knots.
She was the first ship to be specifically designed as an intermediate liner initially for the London - South Africa - Mozambique ports together with her sister the Lismore Castle. Unfortunately, there were problems with the French and she entered service on the Mauritius run.
In 1904 she was taken back with her sister by Barclay, Curle in part payment for the Cluny Castle and the Comrie Castle which were being built.
She was resold by them to East Asiatic Co. (Ostasiatiske Kompani) of Copenhagen for a passenger service to the West Indies and renamed Domingo.
In 1905 she was transferred to the East Asiatic Co., a Russian subsidiary company, and renamed Curonia.
She was sold to Goshi Kaisha Kishimoto Shokai of Darien and renamed Kaijo Maru in 1913.
Sold again in 1918 she was renamed Susanna II by Madrigal & Co. of Manila and was broken up in 1936.
Service in The Boer War - 1899 to 1902
Alexandra Princess of Wales’s Own (Yorkshire Regiment)