York Castle


YORK CASTLE was built in 1901 by Sir James Laing & Sons at Sunderland with a tonnage of 5517grt, a length of 408ft, a beam of 50ft 4in and a service speed of 12 knots.

She joined the cargo fleet in May 1901 and joined the three Union 'S' vessels on a triangular service between South Africa - USA - UK except during the fruit season when she traded between South Africa and the USA.

In 1924 she was sold to G. B. Bibolini of Genoa and renamed San Terenzo. After a short period laid up she was broken up during 1932.

Master

From

To

J T Robinson

5/1901

5/1903

E W Freeman

6/1903

1/1905

H M Cruise

3/1905

8/1908

E Mais

7/1908

7/1913

E J Holl

8/1913

4/1915

C R Jackson

6/1915

9/1917

G Owens

10/1917

11/1917

W A Swiney

11/1917

4/1918

C J Duncan

4/1918

11/1918

A Barron

4/1919


H B Rake

11/1919


G Sinclair

6/1920

7/1922

A O Morgan

1/1924

12/1924

Union-Castle Home Page
Home Page   Email the Site     The Group Register   Previous Page Next Page Union-Castle Home Page