Built in 1943 by Short Bros in Sunderland with a tonnage of 7067grt, a length of 466ft 6in, a beam of 56ft 4in and a service speed of 12 knots.
She was completed for the Ministry of War Transport as the Empire Duchess with Hugh Hogarth & Son as managers.
On 7th August 1946 the management was transferred to Union-Castle who purchased her in 1949 and renamed her Braemar Castle.
Years in Service
1946 Chartered from Ministry of War Transport
1949 purchased from Ministry of Transport, renamed Braemar Castle (2),