HMS Lamont / HMS Ard Patrick
Launched and 12.1939 completed by Greenock Dockyard Co Ltd. Greenock (Yard No 438) for The Clan Line Steamers Ltd.
6.1944 crossed the English Channel five times with Invasion Troops for Normandy, serving as a Landing Ship Infantry (LSI)
25.7.1944 commissioned into The Royal Navy and renamed H.M.S. LAMONT six days later.
2.8.1944 sailed for the South West Pacific to assist the United States Navy, but was rejected and used for training, trooping and an accommodation ship for British Pacific Fleet at Manus, Admiralty Islands.
8.8.1945 Renamed H.M.S. Ard Patrick
1946 returned to the U.K. via Panama Canal and fitted with extra accommodation for ferrying troops between Tilbury and Cuxhavan.
1947 re-entered Clan Line Service.
31.8.1961 arrived Mihara, Japan, for scrapping.
HMS Lamont entering the Clyde during the Second World War.
The Clan Lamont was one of the ships that played a pivotal role in the D-Day landings, 1944.
Artist: C E Taylor
© Courtesy Caledonia Investments
HMS Lamont at The Tail o’ The Bank
A scene on the Clyde Estury, localy known as 'the tail o the bank' around 1944.
A U class submarine is being escorted to the sea by a tug and an ML ( motor launch ), while a drifter is taking a barrage balloon back to it's station after servicing.
Several Merchant ships are waiting to form a convoy,
While the Battleship Warspite under goes maintanence and the Landing Ship Infantry HMS Lamont is prepairing to deliver its troops to the Normandy Beaches.
Artist: Jim Rae
Years in Service
HMS Ard Patrick
1940-1948 used by Admiralty as Landing ship HMS Lamont and later as troop ferry,
1945 renamed HMS Ard Patrick and used as an accomodation ship.
1948 returned to Clan Line and renamed Clan Lamont (3),