Garth Castle (1)
GARTH CASTLE was built in 1880 by John Elder & Co. at Glasgow with a tonnage of 3537grt, a length of 365ft, a beam of 43ft 6in and a service speed of 12 knots.
The first of two near sisters of the Kinfauns Castle she was named after Sir Donald Currie's estate in Scotland.
On 23rd July 1881 she hosted a dinner for leading personalities after a fleet review in Leith Roads.
Transferred to the Intermediate service in 1890 she became surplus to requirements when the companies merged in March 1900.
She was sold to Elder Dempster & Co. in 1901 for their Bristol to Jamaica service and in the July was chartered to Franco-Canadian Steam Navigation Co. for their Dunkirk - Bordeaux - Quebec run.
In 1902 she was sold to Khedivial Mail Steamship & Graving Dock Co. of London and renamed Ismailia.
She was sold on to Soc. Armatrice Radivo-Frausin of Trieste, renamed Brunette and broken up in Italy in 1923.